Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Submission...

 "I have found that often when I am struggling the most with something, I actually already know what I should do or am supposed to do, but I don't like it and want to do something else, thereby creating the struggle."
   A few years ago, I was engaged.  After a few months, we ended the engagement.  That whole process is another story for another time.  The important thing is that, I truly believe that God called me into the courtship and He called me out of it.  During the time of when I was struggling with whether or not to end the engagement, I really felt like God was asking me to "lay my 'Isaac' down."  I was devastated, but was willing to trust God.  However, I think a part of me expected a "ram" to show up, or for something to happen so that "Isaac" would come back to me.  And I got angry with God when it didn't happen the way I thought it should have. 
  My "Isaac" - I wanted to be married.  I did truly love the person I was engaged to, and had given him my heart totally and completely.  Don't get me wrong.  But, for the past year or so, I have wanted to be married.  I believe that I have put marriage on a pedestal. Above what God wants to do in my life.  And a part of me was afraid to trust God again.  I'm afraid that He'll ask me to walk away again and I'll never get married.
  All that being said, a couple of weeks ago, I was at church, and the topic was on Submission.  And one thing that Pastor Bill said really stood out.  He used three stories to illustrate true submission - Abraham offering up Isaac, Ananias praying for Saul/Paul (Acts 9:10-17), and Jesus being able to say, "Not My will, but Yours be done."  And Pastor Bill asked the question, "Why were they able to do that?" And I know this is probably really basic, but for me, it was what I needed to hear.  Pastor Bill said, they trusted in God's love.  They knew God and had a relationship with Him.  And just like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego said, "Even if He doesn't rescue us, we will still do what He says," I need to come to the place where I trust God's love me.  Walking with God isn't a prison.  It isn't a list of do's and don'ts.  It's about a relationship, communication, trust, and love.  And I'm realizing that I cannot love people fully when I myself don't trust my Father's love for me.  I cannot be truly content with my life when I don't trust His love for me. Walking with God is freedom - freedom from lies, discontentment, worries, and fear. 
    And as much as I want to be free, I sometimes think that I am willing to settle because I'm familiar with the fears, worries, and lies.  But if I truly trust God and His love for me, then I shouldn't be willing to settle for anything less than what He wants for me.  So, the question remains, How much do I really and truly trust Him?  I have to honestly say, I don't know.  But I want to find out.  Every day I want to choose His love over my fears.  His grace and mercy over my sins.  His path over my own way.
   Lord, help me please.  I want to submit to Your love, but I can't do it without Your grace.  I want to trust You again.  Forgive me for my hardness of heart and lack of faith.  As I continue to step out in faith, please be with me.  I love You, Lord.  Help me to know You better.  To love You better.  Amen.

   In His Love,
    Christy

2 comments:

  1. I know that familiarity. I get so stuck there sometimes and I sit there wondering why in the world do I choose fear over what He has...all the beauty He has for me.

    Submission is hard. This was such an encouragement to me Christy.

    Thanks for sharing this. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post, Christy. Trusting in Father's love is the key to all of life. As we learn step by step to rest in Him and in the knowledge that He loves us, nothing else will matter.

    I pray God's blessing on you as He teaches you to trust Him and rest in His love, even though you may not always understand. Perfect love casts out all fear! He loves you more than you can imagine - He is absolutely thrilled with you - and His love is enough!

    ReplyDelete