Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bridging the Great Divide....

I was in church last Sunday, and they were having an intercessory prayer session instead of a regular sermon. I was sitting there, just praying - I really don't remember about what, in all honesty... But there are a few issues in my life that I haven't really been dealing with. Sometimes it is easier to pretend that they aren't really there and hope they go away. But they never do... And like always, God knew what I need to focus on... My heart needs healing & I need to trust Him again. Hence, the following...
"What do I do when the pain is so deep I'm not sure I can trust again?" I prayed. "The pain is like a volcanic chasm, a Great Divide that separates me from You... I know that Jesus can and will heal all wounds. The cross is the bridge that crosses the Great Divide, but I'm afraid. I try and cross, but every time I seem to be getting across and doing better, something happens and I feel like I'm back at the beginning again. If Your love is real, then why is it this way? I want to cross this chasm, but I'm afraid.... I'm afraid of the fire and of falling. Will You really catch me? How can I trust You again?"
And then He answered me in a story, a word picture, if you will...
There was a great chasm, with a river of lava flowing through it. There was a girl on one side and she kept trying to get to the other side. There was a wooden cross that was the bridge, narrow, rough, and wobbly. Slowly, she put one foot in front of the other. Every now and then the bridge would wobble. Once or twice she was crawling, but always moving forward... Finally, after what seemed like forever, she made it across. She stood for a moment, then started walking away from the chasm. Before she got too far away, she looked over her shoulder back at the chasm and saw what she couldn't see when she was crossing - an army of angels surrounding the cross. Huge, mighty warriors, as far as the eye could see, standing guard over the precious daughter of God, sent by her loving All Mighty, Protective Father.
And that's when I knew.... I might not "feel" like I have faith in God. I might still be trying to cross the chasm. But this I know, I must keep moving forward. Even if only a crawl.... For I believe His angels are keeping guard always. And nothing happens that He doesn't know about... Nothing.
So Lord, help me to keep moving forward. Towards You and not away from You. Towards healing and away from anger. Towards trust and faith and away from discontentment and pride. Towards love and away from selfishness. Towards you and away from my own will. Towards peace and healing... The journey will not be easy, I know that, but I can't not go forward. I love You, Lord...

2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a beautiful word picture...and something I needed to see with my mind. Those hard deep hurts are scary.... but I must keep moving forward.

    You encouraged me today Christy. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete