Thursday, October 18, 2012

Living Life...

     Life has been so busy lately, and somehow the days have run into weeks, and the weeks blended into months. While I wasn't looking, summer slipped away and fall arrived, with all it's colorful glory.  It's grey and windy outside today. The leaves have turned colors and are falling all around.  Soon fall will turn into winter, and I'll have barely had time to breathe.  Soon snow will start to fall, and my world will become a winter wonderland, and everything will be fresh and white. Christmas lights will appear, fires will blaze, hot chocolate will be made, and carols will be sung.
    You may be wondering, what in the world has been keeping me so very busy that I've hardly had time to blog at all?  :) God has filled my life to overflowing with so many blessings and trials all mixed together, that I'm not sure I'd know where to start.
    A couple years ago, I started taking ASL classes, with the hopes of becoming a Sign Language Interpreter. However, by the end of my second class, I was starting to hate ASL. The college I was attending quit offering the evening classes, and I didn't like the professor that they had, so I quit, thinking that at some point I'd try again. Well, earlier this year, the head of the school at our church approached me and asked if I'd be willing to teach the school ASL for half hour once a week. So, I'm currently teaching 17 kids their alphabet and some different signs. It has been an adventure. I was worried when I first started out that it wouldn't work out very well - that I didn't know what I was doing, that I'd teach them something wrong, or whatever. But I moved forward in the face of my fears, and am really enjoying it now. Soon we are going to start memorizing a verse for the Christmas performance. :)
    One other big thing going on in my life right now is that I'm getting ready to go on my first mission trip!  There are about 12 of us or so from my church that are going to the Netherlands in February.  Our church supports a missionary and his family over there, and we will be spending 10-14 days with him, just ministering and doing street witnessing and lots of other stuff. I'm so excited!!! I've never been out of the country before, so I just went and applied for my passport a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm in the waiting game to see when it arrives.
    I'm still involved in our church's worship team. Recently I was moved from playing the keys to playing the piano during worship. That was a big step for me, as I don't really like to be in the spotlight, so to say. Also, I wasn't as confident in my skills as Pastor Bob, our worship leader. But again, I just moved forward and was willing to try it, and so far it's been okay. :)  So now I go back and forth between the keys and the piano, and I'm loving it. I never would have chosen to get involved this way, but I'm so glad that God has other plans for me. And I still work in our Children's ministries department on Wednesday nights. I love being able to give back to others, and point them to Christ. If hadn't been for others being willing to pour into my life, who knows what would have happened. I'm forever grateful for all my various church teachers who took time out of their lives to invest into mine.
    I have more going on in my life, but I think I want save that for another blog post. It's so special that it deserves it's own, not just tacked on to the end of a long post.  That, and if I don't finish this now, I'm going to be late for work. :)  I pray that you all are having a wonderful fall day, wherever you are.
    In His Love,
         Christy

2 comments:

  1. Awesome job with the sign language and moving from electronic keyboard to piano. It's a far cry from when you were playing in the talent show at Summit in 2005, isn't it? I haven't been around the Netherlands at all, only though the airport on the way to somewhere else. I hope you have a great trip as you're a blessing to those you are there to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy,

    it sounds like you have lots of exciting things going on. It's great to hear an update on all God is doing in your life. I miss you my precious hall-mate!! :)

    Love, Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete